Monday, March 21, 2016

Medical care in Amsterdam

The right to medical care is a basic human right. But if you don't have papers, this human right is often beyond reach. Here in Amsterdam, undocumented migrants who turn ill. . . end up in this small medical centre. Anybody can get a consultation here for only five euros. The centre is run by volunteers, mainly retired doctors and nurses. How much was the operation? -3000 euros. Do you have that money? -Oh no. . . You are from Ethiopia.  -Yes. There is a possibility for people who are illegal. . . that it gets paid by the government, but then it has to be medically necessary.


Maybe I'll write a letter to the hospital. . . and maybe you can show it and maybe they can do it anyway. I can't guarantee it, but I think you should go with this letter. Is that okay? To try again? If I take a shower, if I bathe, my body itches.  I scratch myself too much. Can you see something on your skin? -No. Nothing? Nothing to see? -No.  The scratching I feel is inside. Since when are you in Holland? -Six months, now. So maybe you brought it from your home country? Is that possible? What do you say? -You brought it from Sudan? Yes, they say it's possible from Africa. I will take a little bit of your skin for the laboratory. Is it going to be painful? -Well, just a little bit. . . You're a grown man, aren't you? -I know, but I feel pain. Everybody feels pain.  Also dogs and animals.  

They feel pain. This is the piece of skin. By the look of it, there are no worms in the skin. Because I should have seen them swimming. I think, we need to know more. If we want to know more, we have to do a laboratory examination. It wouldn't be very expensive.  -So believe, God will reward you. For what you are doing for people.  -Okay.  Thank you very much. I think I have a serious problem.  I'm already three days late with my. . . Period? -Yes. And my situation makes it impossible to keep it. Did you do a pregnancy test? -Yes. Was it positive? It was positive.  -Yes. When a plus occurs here, she is pregnant. Here it's weak, but it's positive. Do you want an abortion? Or time to think? -I can't keep it.  That's too difficult for me. Abortion clinics.  -Yes, that's a good one. Go there, explain the situation you're in. That you don't have any money.  And that you need an abortion. And wait their response. If they react very negative, then you come back here on Monday. Next Monday.  Then I'm here. All water from the nose? -Yeah, water. 

 All the time. There are times in the morning, when I wake up. . . that also blood comes, sometimes.  -Yeah. This is okay. Okay.  This is okay. Actually I am here for you to fill out this form for me.  I got this from my lawyer. And I want you to fill it out for me. I don't think it is of any importance for your status if you have nose problems. You have to realize that. It is up to you to fill out the form for me.  It is not for you to judge to. . . I'm not to judge.  We are clear.  -Good, no problem. Because I was thinking to do the abortion. . . but me, I will not do the abortion. That I will explain if anybody don't believe my problem. When I deliver that baby.  When that baby is big, I will explain to that baby. Where can I go? I don't have anybody here.  Which kind of problem is this? Why are they doing this to me? I'm tired, I'm tired, I'm tired. I'm tired, I'm tired, I'm tired. If the police don't believe me, I don't care.  I don't want to go. When I deliver this, they will believe me.  -Come on, I told you I believe you. What a difficult situation she was in when we filmed her. Let's pray she is doing fine now. What is your experience with medical care? Do you need practical information from a fellow African? Go to the website, and share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment